The Full Story
North Park Baptist church had its beginnings in 1938 when Carpenter Street
Baptist Church, under the leadership of Pastor J. Clark Hensley, recognized the need for a
mission in northeast Moberly. Mrs. T.J. Tydings, who's home was located on Franklin
Avenue, offered her basement as a temporary meeting place. On May 11, 1938, the first
service was held with 13 people present. Later, the group moved into a house. North
Park continued as a mission until 1949 when it became an organized church with Rev.
Hugh Yeater as pastor.
On February 27. 1949, the North Park Baptist Church was chartered. During the
early years, services were held in a house located where the church now stands at 401
Franklin Ave. In 1955, North Park entered a three-unit plan of construction; which
consisted of a two-story educational building and sanctuary, with the final phase
competed in 1971
In 1952 North Park started a mission of its own in the northwest section of
Moberly, known as the Wabash Heights Mission. That mission continued until 1962.
North Park has had 14 pastors: Reverends Hugh Yeater, Lester Zumwalt, Dean
Ward, Kenneth Harder, William Jordan, Wayne Williams, Wayne Norton, Robert Wood,
Bob Moseley, Howard Smith, Herb Clinton,Howard Smith who
returned in 1994, Dennis Gard, and our current Pastor Dan Gibson who join us in 2021.